Zum Inhalt springen

Ernemann IX oder VIII B?

tompa53

Empfohlene Beiträge

Ernemann IX or VIII B? Of the two projectors, wich one do you consider to be the best? Wich one is most gentle to the film and/or produces the best picture? Please answer in English, if possible.

Übersetzt mit Google Translate:

Welcher dieser beiden Projektoren gilt als besser? Was ist schonend für den Film und/oder gibt das beste Bild? Antworten Sie bitte auf Englisch, falls möglish.

Gruß

Thomas, Sweden

If You have to choose between these Projectors, the Ernemann IX is the best. It is only a "smaller" Ernemann X. Both Machines have the same Projector Head.

They are very gentle to the Film, run smooth, and spare Parts (even new) are available everywhere.

Some People dont like the machine because of the drum shutter Blade. That is the only negative thing. Machine has also a good sound optic.

Yours sincerely Martin

Hello Martin.

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I should mention that the E IX is the older type, from the 1950´s. Guess it does not make any difference?

Anything particular with the E VIII B, that makes it your second choice? What is not so good?

Here in Sweden it´s hard to find spare-parts for the E IX, so it´s good news to hear you have plenty in Germany. Can you please advice me where I can find a dealer?

Danke für deine Antwort. Vielleicht sollte ich erwähnen, dass der E IX der ältere Typ aus den 1950er Jahren ist. Ratet mal, dass es keinen Unterschied macht?

Besonderes beim E VIII B, das macht es zur zweiten Wahl? Was ist nicht so gut?

Hier in Schweden ist es schwierig, Ersatzteile für den E IX zu finden. Daher ist es eine gute Nachricht, zu hören, dass Sie reichlich in Deutschland sind. Können Sie mir bitte sagen, wo ich einen Händler finden kann?

Gruß

Thomas, Sweden

Hello Thomas,

Im completely with Martin. The E IX is the better machine of both. I once worked with both types at a cinema here - the  E IX even runs totally damaged prints through it while the E VIII B slit them in two pieces at the soundhead. 

The Ernemann IX is a "lighter" Version of the E X without water-cooling elements. Its a more further development of the E VII B which was one of the first "integrated sound projectors" 

The film path of the E VIIB, IX and X is just "from up to down" without any windings like the E VIII B. Also the mechanic internals are much stronger as in the smaller VIII B.

Unfortunately Martin sometimes forget that we are in 2019 and most of the 35mm-Machines went into the bin when the cinemas where digitized. Last Week in Munich 4! Ernemann X where thrown away because nobody wants them. In 2010 i could easily sell them to some enthusiasts, but nowadays... no way here in south-germany.... If you want to spend a lot of money in parts they are not worth it, so you can call "cine project" in Landshut/Bayaria. The owner once bought Ernemann and sold spare Parts for it (mostly E 15).  But! If you are a hobbyist, he will make you a good price for parts - just ask him or call.

best regards 

Christian

• Like 1

Might even be better to consider modern projectors like Kinotones or maybe Ernamann 15 worth taking a look at. They do a good job, spares are even likelier to find, and have large capacity winding in general.

And spares or even spare projectors can still be found, yes not that easy as in the digitization time, but not difficult either. E 15s, I still got many offered in the last weeks, even located in my near surrounding in the Baltic coast area. But I have not been interested in.

The first theatre I worked in used to have E X in it, and they were quite well noticeable in the hall by a not very silent running. You could feel the movement and vibration quite well underneath. It also slit films, like many others, and has not been not one of the kindest to film. Most Bauers performed better.

We personally gave an Ernemann VIIIb a try in our home setup in the mid 80's, but it never really came to our liking (my brother and me), no Ernemann is close to a 2x Bauer B11 l/r (B14), (has been and still is) the preferred choice in home setups, when classic projectors are wanted.

If you are looking into an E X or IX, It might also be worth looking into the Aga Baltic, which is of similar construction, but in comparison runs super smooth and film safe. A way better projector, and quite common in Sweden at the time.

Thank you for the input! The idea is to have a classic projector (in original condition) from the late 1950´s. The E IX is closest. It has optical mono and 4-track magnetic sound. The E VIIIB is re-built for laser-stereo. I actually also have an AGA "Cinemascope" projector with optical mono/magnetic stereo. However the fly-wheel is missing in the optical sound-head, and it has a carbon arc lamp.  And also a Bauer U2 fully equipped for 35/70mm. The problem is, it´s quite complicated and the numbers on 8 or 10 cables has fallen off. So it will be a bit difficult to make it run. Otherwise, all projectors seems to be in very good condition. These are nice problems, don´t you think?

Thomas

Sweden

I would love to use the Bauer U2, but it´s not the easiest of the four projectors to get up and running. I also need an optical soundhead rebuilt for analog stereo, or have the original re-built. I very much doubt there is anyone left in Sweden who can do that. 

I think perhaps the Bauer U2 is asking for trouble. There are electrical components that looks "burned", or at least have been very hot. There are parts that need to be replaced (or missing), and spare-parts are really hard to find and/or are very expensive. The machine has not been in use for at least 30 years (it was given to me for free), and I have no idea if everything is OK until it´s actually powered up. I also need an optical sound-head rebuilt for Dolby analog stereo. If I can find all missing parts and the cost is reasonable, maybe it´s worth a try.

But, I guess any of the two Ernemanns will be the choise. Zeiss projectors has been widely used in Sweden and regarded as very good projectors. From the replies they are from "very gentle on film" to "crap" (compared to Bauers). I´m leaning towards the E IX, but the E VIIIB has a laser/stereo reproducer, so all types of soundtracks can play. Also looking for a pair of 1800m spool-boxes for it, if anyone has or know where to find.

Regarding Bauer U2: mechanically one of the best projectors ever seen and worked with, BUT: you need really skilled projectionists for it!

Many years ago I installed two U2 at Imperial-Kino in Vienna, then working for Filmarchiv Austria, as we wanted to step up for 70mm (and DP70 were to huge for the tiny projection room). Rewired, with frequency converter and SPS-controlled. Lateral adjustment of the soundhead´s damping rollers and the micro-switched, motorized take up were a no-go for some archival prints.

Roland Rosbeek (www.rosbeektechniek.nl) would be the right man for rebuilding any soundhead.