Zum Inhalt springen

Widescreen Weekend, Bradford, UK - März 2010

LaserHotline

Empfohlene Beiträge

Für alle bislang Unentschlossenen noch der kleine dezente Hinweis, dass es im März während des Widescreen Weekends im englischen Bradford einen "Film Formats" Vortrag der Academy of Motion Pictures Art & Sciences geben wird. Nach allem, was ich von den Besuchern, die diese Show bereits in den USA erlebt haben, gehört habe, muss es eine sehr eindrucksvolle Präsentation mit vielen Beispielen sein. Ich bin auf diese Show mehr als gespannt!

Hallo alle,

Ich bin nicht sehr gut mit diesem Forum zu starten, weil ich zwei Nachteile auf:

- Ich schreibe sehr schlechtes Deutsch;

- Ich stimme überhaupt nicht mit der Politik des WSF von Bradford.

Ich erkenne die Programmierung der Auffassung, massiv, dass die vorgeschlagene 70mm unten kocht für amerikanische Filme, aber manchmal Europäer. Aber die sowjetische Kino ist nicht verfügbar. Aber, wie der Film Schauenburg, sind Kopien gibt und sehr vorzeigbar für ihr Alter. Vergessen Sie die Fanatiker mit 70mm "SuperPanavision" oder "Cinerama" hoch über den T-Shirt, das die Russen die größte Anzahl an Filmen in diesem Format produziert haben, sind viele Filme, die sehr bunte und zugänglich sein. Aber sie sind "Made in USSR". Das ist eine politische Ideologie, sicherlich, aber auch amerikanische Filme. Und sie sammeln, sind massive ...

Ich bin ein Vertreter der Vereinigung "Triple-Screen", speichert, verwaltet und synchronisiert die Kopien der geplanten Ausgaben um 70% auf Kinopanorama Paris. Wir haben zwei Filme Brdaford für eine Änderung der "IKT" vorgeschlagen, "HTWWW" und den pathetischen Kopie der Windjammer. Unsere Anforderungen wurden Kopien der Versicherung, Unterkunft für die technische Umsetzung und Kontrolle und Überwachung der Installation und Anpassung DGB oder Platen (wir sind in 1200 Meter). Kein Geld, um nur geben, dass die Öffentlichkeit etwas ändert. Die Abteilung verweigert, er hat uns gebeten, Kopien zu versenden, und sie würde es selbst tun. Es war "Zwei Uhr der UdSSR" und "Wolga-Wolga". Die Weigerung, uns die Hand ... Kopien natürlich einzigartig und wertvoll. In Französisch-Version, wir könnten eine englische Übersetzung der wichtigsten bieten, wie wir im Perm, die Zerstörung der Halle sind.

Der Tag der Organisation von Bradford zu verstehen, dass nicht alles im Westen große Fortschritte Reise wird zu tun, und wir können wieder sprechen. Ich schreibe das gleiche für drei Jahre, jetzt sind wir auf Windjammer eine Kopie eines 35 und zog in digital ... Ich ließ der Richter.

Guten Abend.

Sorry,

It was done by Google translate. If I can write in English, for me the worst problem with Bradford WSW is that the Direction of the Festival (an many members too) are locked on that sentence: "70 mm movies are American, European" but forget that former USSR has done much more movies filmed and projected in 70 mm, more than US for ex. And not the worst ... Try to suggest to the organization of the Festival a single Russian movie (War and Peace for ex), you will be received by this sentence: "it's crap and boring" They prefer blow-up, pink prints than a Svema - not faded - print.

It's the same for 3-strips movies. I am one of the member of "Triple Ecran", a non-profit society that has collected, stored and restored, synchronized now 70-75 % of former Paris Kinopanorama Prints. They are in SVEMA, the sound film is perfect and we have proposed three or four years ago to WSW to exhibit two of them:

- Two hours in USSR

- Volga-Volga

... with very little requirement. We wanted:

- to be located somewhere during the alignment and screen testing,

- to supervised the DGB and plater building of the show (we are stored on 1200 m reels)

- and an insurance for the prints.

We didn't ask to go to the Hilton, eating in a 3 stars restaurant. In our mind, it was to change for the sempiternal TIC, HTWWW or the poorly faded Windjammers. Was it too much ? Yes because the manager refuse the deal !!! He has only asking us to send the prints (they are unique) to Bradford and the tests would be done when times permits. Its not very professional.

That's all, and that's my commentary about WSF. It's trusted by Toddd A O, 70mm Panavision and Cinerama addicts, and everything else is crap. The only try with "Cinerama" Russian Adventure was a disaster and a stupid disaster: all the prints are complete (not only extracts, but the travelogues or narrative movies), not faded ...

Are we responsible of stupidity of some guys ? For them, the cold war is not over ... But Kinopanorama, Kinopanorama 70 or Sovscope 70 movies are a very important part of Wide Screen. Much more important tan a poor blow-up a a digital recomposition of Windjammers.

Herbert Born is much more open and his festival is a real universal Wide Screen Festival.

Sorry,

It was done by Google translate. If I can write in English, for me the worst problem with Bradford WSW is that the Direction of the Festival (an many members too) are locked on that sentence: "70 mm movies are American, European" but forget that former USSR has done much more movies filmed and projected in 70 mm, more than US for ex. And not the worst ... Try to suggest to the organization of the Festival a single Russian movie (War and Peace for ex), you will be received by this sentence: "it's crap and boring" They prefer blow-up, pink prints than a Svema - not faded - print.

It's the same for 3-strips movies. I am one of the member of "Triple Ecran", a non-profit society that has collected, stored and restored, synchronized now 70-75 % of former Paris Kinopanorama Prints. They are in SVEMA, the sound film is perfect and we have proposed three or four years ago to WSW to exhibit two of them:

- Two hours in USSR

- Volga-Volga

... with very little requirement. We wanted:

- to be located somewhere during the alignment and screen testing,

- to supervised the DGB and plater building of the show (we are stored on 1200 m reels)

- and an insurance for the prints.

We didn't ask to go to the Hilton, eating in a 3 stars restaurant. In our mind, it was to change for the sempiternal TIC, HTWWW or the poorly faded Windjammers. Was it too much ? Yes because the manager refuse the deal !!! He has only asking us to send the prints (they are unique) to Bradford and the tests would be done when times permits. Its not very professional.

That's all, and that's my commentary about WSF. It's trusted by Toddd A O, 70mm Panavision and Cinerama addicts, and everything else is crap. The only try with "Cinerama" Russian Adventure was a disaster and a stupid disaster: all the prints are complete (not only extracts, but the travelogues or narrative movies), not faded ...

Are we responsible of stupidity of some guys ? For them, the cold war is not over ... But Kinopanorama, Kinopanorama 70 or Sovscope 70 movies are a very important part of Wide Screen. Much more important tan a poor blow-up a a digital recomposition of Windjammers.

Herbert Born is much more open and his festival is a real universal Wide Screen Festival.

Thanks for writing this in English - now I get a clue about what you wanted to say.

I am sorry to hear that you dislike Bradford's festival management. But of course it is their decision what to do with the festival. I am sure that a lot of widescreen enthusiasts in Bradford would love to see some of the rare Russian 70mm or even 3-strip movies. Maybe you have talked to the wrong person in Bradford? Rest assured that this certainly has nothing to do with cold war! I am sure that there are other reasons for that.

Hello,

Sorry for posting in English. It was the Director himself, that's the problem (Mr. Bill Lawrence) and it's mostly known that Thomas Hauerslev is not a fig fan of Russian's movies; his sentence at the last Berlinade was that "The Optimistic Tragedy" was boring, even if that movie is mostly recognized as a great film. And most of the decisional members of WSW are "US" oriented (addicts) for movies. Former USSR epics, and Kinopanorama movies were mostly politically oriented, but This is Cinerama was a political promotion for ... America.

For me, a Festival promoting a way to see a movie on a wide screen must be open, politically free and her role is to show wide-screen movies from everywhere. It's also a good way to learn how other countries did for the change from 3-strips to 70mm. Some of the first 70mm Russian movies were with a separated 35mm full coated 9 tracks sound (Desna for ex.).

It's sad because the prints are available in different language, in good shape (the French print of War an Peace in Russian with French ST is like new, the one dubbed in French is also very correct). And it's not a problem to put a video subtitling on Russian print, it's just a problem of time an passion.

Regards and many respect to Herbert Born much more open.

Well, it always is a question of personal taste. Everybody sees and feels movies in a different way. I am sure that if Thomas said he was bored by a certain film, it is his personal view.

Something you also have to take into account is financing. This becomes more and more difficult for festivals like the one in Bradford or the one in Karlsruhe. The organiszers always have to think very careful about which films they can show during a festival to attract an audience. In the Western world not many movie buffs are familiar with Russian movies. This does not mean that they are not good! But it takes some courage as well as money to program Russian films for a widescreen festival. Showing the full version of WAR AND PEACE at such a festival is quite a risk I think. Imagine that nobody would be interested to see this film (maybe because it is in a language the audience is not familiar with?) - that would be a financial fiasco for a festival like Bradford's.

All of the above said id my personal view. I am sure that Herbert Born could tell more about this. There are some Russian movies showing in 70mm at the Schauburg during the next few months. But these films will not be screened as part of the Todd-AO festival, but during the regular program on Sunday afternoons.

Your conclusions about non-US 70mm films in Bradford are wrong. Very proud to have shown at least two DEFA 70 films over the years and "Cinerama's Russian Adventure".

We have been blessed with many good contacts who have come to us with 70mm prints which we have shown - no one, however, have ever addressed me about Russian 70mm prints.

As you know we tried to do some Kinopanorama arrangement in 2005, wiith a group of people who showed no understanding of how a professional 3-strip cinema is operated. We had to abandon the idea, much to our regret.

Preparing and showing 3-strip prints is very time consuming and requires experience and time which only a few projection crew have these days. We were very interested in showing Kinopanorama in Bradford, but the conditions we were asked to comply with, were simply impossible to meet.

Hello,

The impolite man was me ! The prints are (and were) perfectly checked and synchronized. They have run for the closure of Perm Cristal Kinoanoarama theater just a few months after the proposal to Bradford. We are from the Kinpopanorama (Paris) and we know how to test a print. The reason was coming.

The reason is somewhere else ...

Since there is somebody who knows the Kinopanorama in Paris well, there came up a question many times. Why was 3 strip Kinopanorama shown with changeover, that means 6 picture projectors and 2 sound dubbers in use?

When was the last show in Paris with 3-strip Cinerama/Kinopanorama except the showing in the Empire in early 70s?

The changeover system was only because in USSR the show was permanent. So it could be risky with a single projector, even if the KPP-1 was a workhorse. The last show in Paris in 3-strip was in 1963 and a small series in 1964, including one day in 3-strips another in 35/70mm in the weekly program. An itinerant Kinopanorama show was launched in two town (at least) in Paris suburb in late 1963 early 1964 (Romainville). The central projectors were removed in the late 60's for a project to transform them for a restoration of Gance's Napoleon (6 to 4 perfs), but never done.

The last run of the Paris Kinopanorama's prints was for the closure of Perm Cristal Panorama theater in 2004, still equipped with the 3-strips system, but unused since 1966. The chief projectionist put the system back in working order and make a week of special events, including Kinopanorama presentation ... in French. After a good alignment, the prints run without a single problem !!!!

Now The Perm Cristal, first scheduled to be rebuild as Imax theater has been demolished and most of the old equipment carefully stored.

For accuracy, I recieved an e-mail from Mr. Grosmenil on 20th of July 2005 proposing "Two hours in USSR" and "USSR at open Heart" for Bradford's 2006 Widescreen Weekend in 3-strip Kinopanorama. Excited about showing Kinopanorama again, and after consulting with the museum's projection team and management, we accepted the conditions put forward by Mr. Grosmenil. All seemed fine until he changed the conditions a month later in August 2005. After several e-mails with him, we decided not to go ahead with Kinopanorama on 2nd September 2005.

A 1996 picture of French Kinopanorama prints in storage in a summerhouse outside Paris can be seen in this article: http://www.in70mm.com/news/2003/kinopan...astity.htm

Hello,

You are free to publish the mails.

I am shocked by the picture:

- because it's only a little part of spares prints;

- it was 13 years ago and we have worked on the collection;

- I'm a professional and my honor is to show a movie in te best condition, not a peace of crap.

The rest is stored in wooden boxes, the sound film in a plumbed box. The prints are lubricated with Film Guard once a year and are stored in a cold and vented place (with acetic captors).

I say and I repeat: the reason is somewhere else ....

Well, it always is a question of personal taste. Everybody sees and feels movies in a different way. I am sure that if Thomas said he was bored by a certain film, it is his personal view.

Something you also have to take into account is financing. This becomes more and more difficult for festivals like the one in Bradford or the one in Karlsruhe. The organiszers always have to think very careful about which films they can show during a festival to attract an audience. In the Western world not many movie buffs are familiar with Russian movies. This does not mean that they are not good! But it takes some courage as well as money to program Russian films for a widescreen festival. Showing the full version of WAR AND PEACE at such a festival is quite a risk I think. Imagine that nobody would be interested to see this film (maybe because it is in a language the audience is not familiar with?) - that would be a financial fiasco for a festival like Bradford's.

All of the above said id my personal view. I am sure that Herbert Born could tell more about this. There are some Russian movies showing in 70mm at the Schauburg during the next few months. But these films will not be screened as part of the Todd-AO festival, but during the regular program on Sunday afternoons.

You are right, but when you do not open your eyes, you see nothing. I have done recently a private screening of "War and Peace", with mixed people (journalists, sponsors, Russians, usual spectators). I was expecting 100-150 patroons, finally we were full, 434 patroons. I have seen only a few (read 2-3) leaving the theater during the show (in 5 parts). It's a plan for a long term project to restore the o-neg of "War An peace" .At least , it has now returned in good hands after a long battle. So there is an interest, but people needs to be open and curious to see "something else" than Lawrence of Arabia, Battle of the Buggle or This is Cinerama.

Hello,

Here is the list of Kinopanorama prints saved in 1995-96:

- Two hours in USSR - French dubbed - 2 SVEMA prints (one on 1200 m reels one in 2400 m reel for Cinerama Marseilles) and one Eastman print faded*.

- USSR At Open Heart - French Dubed - 2 SVEMA prints on 1200m reels

- A Frenchman in Moscow - French dubbed - 2 SVEMA prints on 1200 reels

- Eclair - B&W alignment test for both sound and picture

- Kinochok - 1 SVEMA print in average shape in 1200 m reels

- Naughty Curves (the unedited version of extracts include in program Kinochock) - 1 SVEMA print NEW (1200 m reels)

- Volga- Volga - 2 SVEMA Prints one in very poor shape (water) the other like new (1200 m reeels) - only one 10 sec buzz on the RC channel

- The optimistic tragedy : 1 B& W (and some parts in colors) print - extracted from 70mm (1200 m reels)

- The law of the Antarctic: 1 SVEMA print not synchronized but complete.The print could be edited with a cut of 20-30 seconds. Extracted from 70 mm.

Several unknown prints, not listed in any books, archive. It could be test edited by JP Mauclaire and not exhibited in Paris. We have Winter Studies, some circus shorts, helicopter shorts, but they are in the "classical programs", excepted Winter Studies. This one was a Short by himself a first par of the last program.

All the prints listed are how they are, it's SVEMA not glorious Technicolor. All the SVEMA prints are not faded, but the colors are very similar with ORWO or Agfa prints. Excepted one sound print, the sound is clear, without buzz, excessive hiss , noise in all the 9 channels (tested on a sound reproducer with a new 9-tracks head). The magnetic coating is not falling to dust even if we are very careful with the surface quality of the magnetic head of the reproducer.

You know almost everything of what we have; this is not the trash reels exhibited in the picture from 1996.

As I can't publish photographs now because I have not the number of post to do it, I will publish in the close future some unknown picture of both Moscow, Leningrad, Kiev, Perm, Brussels and then Paris Kinopanorama. I think it's a problem to limit spammers, but I am not a spammer but a rule is a rule :wink:

* this print is a mister for us, it was released by Eclair laboratory near Paris.

Some photographs about Paris, Perm and Kiev Kinopanorama

1962-1.jpg

The central booth with 1 Vic X and one KPP1 6-perfs

1962-2.jpg

KPP-1 projector during a show launching - 1200 m reels

1962-3.jpg

The central booth with 2 Vic X and Two "Baker " KPP-1 Kinopanorama projectors

0142ir9.jpg

Amplifiers wall (Perm)

0157ey5.jpg

Sound reproducers (Perm)

Kino-sans-Ecran.jpg

When the screen is not there. Soviet Kinap speakers and STS sound system (1986-1987)

kinopanorama-kiev.jpg

The control of Kinopanorama picture an sound (Kiev 2008)

Char-KPP1-Mir-58.jpg

Oper-Cent-Mir-58.jpg

Moscow Mir Panorama 1958

Hello,

Thanks a lot. We all hope to be able one day to do a show in England, Germany, France .... with two or three programs of real Kinopanorama (not extracted 70mm-> 3-strips). If we can discuss of the interest of "Kinochoc" (the worst program), the other travelogues are good in term of quality. For the two first ones Roman Karmen was involved. Volga Volga is a very good movie (narrative), but it needs to be translated "live" or subtitled.

Maybe Herbert of the Schauburg in Karlsruhe can set up the 3-strip Kinopanorama. Just move out the equipment in the regular booth, cut a view more holes in the wall for the projectors and install a wider screen and a some more amplifiers and speakers for the 9-track Soundsystem.

Maybe Herbert of the Schauburg in Karlsruhe can set up the 3-strip Kinopanorama. Just move out the equipment in the regular booth, cut a view more holes in the wall for the projectors and install a wider screen and a some more amplifiers and speakers for the 9-track Soundsystem.

simple idea ...