Vor 50 Jahren

HdGehres

Für Theater mit Steilprojektion beim 35mm Film gab es sowas nicht oder doch?

Nein, die Problematik ergab sich erst durch die gewölbte Leinwand mit einer Weitwinkelprojektion.

Es betraf sowieso nur ein paar Theater, die keine Todd-AO Neubauten waren, aber als klassische

Premierenpaläste schnell adaptiert werden mussten. Schon sehr bald wurden spezielle Todd-AO Bauten

erstellt, die den Anforderungen einer Weitwinkelprojektion in gekrümmte Leinwände gerecht wurden.

EIn paar wenige Filmpaläste in den USA wurden auch sehr aufwendig umgebaut, indem man die Projektions-

räume auf Kosten von Zuschauerplätzen in den mittleren Balkonrang auf Centerniveau der Leinwand verlegte.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Thomas,

this laud from the seventy mil pope honours me !

I never understood actually this adventourous principle of operation of this distortion printer.

I can't imagine, that the prints were really as sharp as a contact print.

Sadly, I never saw one, because Iwas to young and to poor to fly to the states.

Klaus

Around 7:16 minutes into this video, you can see another distortion corrected Oklahoma! clip projected on my DP70 sometimes in 2002

Since the projection angle is around 0, I've tilted the screen forward to simulate a downward projection angle.

"Cigar box" test bench set up - works fine ;-) (who is crazy enough to have a DP70 in his office?)

enjoy Todd-AO!

Edited by Thomas Hauerslev (see edit history)

I never understood actually this adventourous principle of operation of this distortion printer.

I can't imagine, that the prints were really as sharp as a contact print.

Sadly, I never saw one, because Iwas to young and to poor to fly to the states.

Klaus

You are right: sharpness is a little bit "soft". But a very interesting case. Probably there were struck minor than a handful prints in this manner (OKLAHOMA, 80 DAYS).

A projection in Karlsruhe will be very distorted, because the projection angle there is upwardly. So, the printed distortion

will be not neutralized like during downward projection. Anyway I'am very curious to see it.

Such a test reel of OKLAHOMA was showed there (without magnetic tracks), you are right. Compensation print for downward projection.

That screen in Krls. has another problem: cropped frames in the headspace...

Edited by cinerama (see edit history)